|Serra Little League News
A Note from the
President of Serra LL
Hi members of Serra LL, in the last two
weeks I have been visiting many of our games at Serra park. During these
visits, I have been asked similar questions related to sportsmanship and what
is the official Serra "policy" is with regard to how we conduct ourselves as
coaches, parents and players. As we conclude our regular season, and begin the
post-season teams, this is a great opportunity to reinforce the standards and
culture of Serra around sportsmanship. Below are some of our guiding
As we conclude our season, please take the time to
thank your Managers, Coaches, Umpires, Parents and other volunteer who work so
hard throughout the season to provide our children the best possible "little
- Let's not forget why we come to the baseball field,
to watch our children play.
- We are all volunteers and should be working
together to maximize the positive experiences for all of the players in the
- The plate umpires job is to control the game and we
should respect their position and decisions.
- The team manager's job is to organize and control
- When a manager has a question related to the game
being played, he requests "time-out" and after it is granted he can enter the
field and approach the plate umpire. The plate umpire resolves all issue on the
- At the beginning of each game, unless the umpires
choose to forgo this, opposing teams line-up along the 1st and 3rd baselines
and a player recites the Little League Pledge.
- At the end of each game, all players, managers and
coaches high-five their opponent and the umpires at home plate.
- It is the managers and coaches job to:
- "Be aware that they are an example to those
with whom they work."
- "Be instrumental in shaping acceptable
behavior patterns whether the team wins or looses."
- "Exercise their leadership role adequately but
leave the ball game in the hands of the players."
- It is the spectators and parents job to:
- a. Sign the "parent/volunteer pledge" at
- I will teach all children to play fair and
do their best.
- I will positively support all managers,
coaches and players
- I will respect the decisions of the umpires
- I will promise a good effort despite the
outcome of the game."
- b. "Be positive in any criticism of the
program and are willing to volunteer their services to improve it. Present
their opinions and criticisms to officers of league in a constructive
- Under no circumstances does Serra condone or teach
a pitcher to intentionally hit a batter with a pitch. Providing a safe
environment for all players in Serra is a top priority.